90 Days to Manageable Paperwork!
In just 12 weeks, you can have your paperwork under control! This 90-day challenge is given in bite-sized pieces, making it easy to tackle and completely doable!
As a group, we completed this challenge in September-November 2015, but you can complete it whenever works for you!
If you'd like to join our group for encouragement and ideas, find the "Efficiency" group on Facebook!
1. Find a place in your home to work and ignore
2. Gather all paperwork from everywhere
3. Make an area for frequently used papers
Decision #1: Use or not use - there should be three piles. One is the pile of paperwork you will use again. Two is the pile of papers that you are keeping for documentation or memorabilia purposes. Three is the pile to get rid of.
Decision #2: Not use again pile - why are you keeping it? Memorabilia or documentation? Pull out documentation and sort memorabilia into piles. Decide how to sort your memorabilia and store it temporarily.
Decision #3: Garbage pile - is there anything that needs to be shred? Is there anything that can be recycled? Clear out the garbage - shred /recycle/toss.
Week 3 - Assess and Plan!
1. Brainstorm and document major life groups - split paperwork into these main groups
2.Logistical Decisions - how will you store your paperwork? Folders, Binders, or something else? Will you store the newest papers first or last?
3. Assess and plan next 4 weeks - split your major life groups into 4 weeks. Assign each group to a week so you can tackle the papers piece by piece!
Week 4 - Group #1
1. Further subdivide into subgroups. The subgroups should be small enough to fit into a binder or folder, depending on what you decided to use to file! If the subgroup is too big, subdivide it further!
2. Sort and organize each subgroup based on the decisions you made before - chronological or reverse chronological.
3. Document it! Create a list of the sections in the binder and the important paperwork within it!
Week 5 - Group #2
The steps of Week 5 are the same as Week 4 - this time for the second large group of paperwork you have! To see some examples of how to organize your subgroups and to get some motivation for the week ahead, check out the Week 5 Periscope!
Week 6 - Group #3
The steps of Week 6 are the same as Week 4. We are entering the halfway week! What do you for motivation when you are at the halfway point and needing motivation? Let me know in the Facebook group! To see what I do, check out the Week 6 Periscope!
Week 7 - Group #4
It's the last week of focus on physical paperwork! The steps are the same as the past couple of weeks! Break the stack into smaller, manageable piles, organize those piles and then document them! To see my progress and get more tips, check out the Week 7 Periscope!
Week 8 - Digital Space #1
It's time to switch to your digital paperwork! Choose the electronic device you use the most frequently and organize it to match your physical filinf system. The first step is to create the main folders for your life and to separate all of the paperwork into them. Then, the second step is to open each of those folders and organize one more level down. The thirs step this week is to back it all up!
Week 9 - Digital Space #2
It's time to move to your second most-used electronic device! The steps are the same as last week! It's time to get those files organized! To see my progress and get more tips, check out the Week 9 Periscope!
Week 10 - USB Drives!
It's time to consolidate all of those drives floating around your house. Whether they are from an old backup system, document transfers or some other purpose, it is important to have an inventoy of them! The way your paperwork is managed in one place should be the way it is managed in every place. Just like your digital spaces are now organized to match your physical space, so should your USB drives be organized. Step 1 is to gather all of them from throughout your home, office, car, purse, etc. Step 2 is to organize each one and take an inventory of what is in it. Step 3 is to create one centralized location for all of your backups and to consolidate the drives as much as possible! For more details, check out the Week 10 Periscope.
Week 11 - Emails!
It is time to clear out your email inbox! By filing old emails away and only keeping emails that require follow up in your inbox, you can have a clearer picture of what needs to be done and you can reduce the email overwhelm!
1. Learn how to organize in your email client
2. Perform large bucket searches
3. Tackle individual emails and add tasks to your Notepad as needed!
For more information, check out the Week 11 Periscope!
Week 12 - Observations
Now that all of the paperwork aspects have been tackled, it is time to make some Observations!
1. Log Everything! Keep track of your systems so that they make sense to you now and in the future.
2. Lessons - Write down what you have learned!
3. Gratitudes - Write down everything you are grateful for!
Some more tips can be found in the Week 12 Periscope!
Week 13 - Accomplishments
It is so important to take time and recognize all of your own Accomplishments! This week, the goal is just that!
1. Take time to reflect on how far you have come!
2. Write down everything you have Accomplished! Then, put it into your MINTOA Mentality!
3. Write down what your accomplishments prove about you. You are hard working, you are dilligent, you are thoughtful!
See some more ideas in the Week 13 Periscope!